Friday, February 11, 2011

"Got You Covered!"

My scripture readings have me in Exodus right now and yesterday I read the ten commandments. As you know, the first four are about our love for God and the last 6 deal with our love for others. God has really convicted me about some things and highlighted several strong quotes for me this week, but today He drew a picture for me!

We had a tornado drill at school this morning. I don't know how many of you have worked in a primary school, or have ever taken part in a drill of this sort, but the kids get on their knees and bend over and put their heads on the floor with their arms covering the backs of their heads. Get the picture? Well, along with this position comes the trouble of many children having shirts that ride up their little backs and leave other things exposed. So, as I was busy going down the line pulling shirts down and tucking them in, my eyes filled with tears as the Lord asked me how often I do that for my brothers and sisters in the faith! When someone we know has something "exposed" are we busier trying to help them or call attention to the exposure? Henry Drummond said, "The greatest thing a man can do for his Heavenly Father is to be kind to His other children!"

May the Lord help us to live in harmony with one another, be sympathetic to one another, love one another and be full of compassion! Romans 12:10 says, "Be devoted to one another in brotherly love. Honor one another above yourselves!" Another translation says, "give preference to one another!" You and I both know that left to ourselves, in our flesh, that is not our tendency! Without the Holy Spirit living in us, we cannot love others the way that He has commanded us to love! That love can only come from Him when we truly love the Lord our God with all our hearts, all of our souls, and all of our minds!

So, I challenge you (and myself) to spend the rest of the week looking for ways to cover one another's back! Someone once said, "Our sociology reflects our theology!" Let's grace others the way that Jesus has graced us over and over again!

No comments:

Post a Comment