Saturday, November 27, 2010


A Loyal Soldier of Jesus Christ

This past Wednesday morning Andy, Emilee and I had the privilege of attending a Marine Corp graduation ceremony at Parris Island in South Carolina. I cannot begin to tell you all the emotions that I experienced while there. As we sat in the stands and the recruits began marching onto the field in front of us, the announcer began to congratulate them for all the physical, mental, emotional and spiritual challenges they had faced over the past 12 weeks. As I listened, I found myself thinking, "I want to be a part of something bigger than myself like that...I want to be a part of a group that has overcome many obstacles to wear a uniform like that and have everyone know without a shadow of a doubt that I belong to that group!" Even as I was thinking all of those thoughts, the Lord reminded me that I am already a part of something bigger than myself. I am a part of the army of God and indeed I do have a uniform! He has clearly given us all a uniform in Ephesians where Paul describes each piece of the armor that we are all to wear every day of our lives. We are always in a battle and we have every piece of equipment that we will need to win the fight!

But, the most awesome and promising reminder for me was this....I can't even begin to comprehend how challenging those 12 weeks were. I can't imagine how many times one of those soldiers tripped, fell down, cried out, felt despair, or wanted to turn back. However, as they marched onto the field, and as the announcer was congratulating them, he said, "Ladies and gentlemen, in front of you are 442 success stories!!" That statement sent chills down my spine and has stayed with me all week. He didn't even mention the mistakes, the falls or the struggles! As Christians, we have tripped, fallen down, cried out, and felt despair. However, when we are faithful to Him no matter how tough this boot camp we call life gets, in the end we will be a success story and we will hear Him say, "Well done!"

So, this experience has caused me to ask myself some pretty pointed questions. Am I following the orders of my commanding officer to the degree that those young men and women did? Am I as proud of who I represent as they are? Am I walking out my beliefs and love for the Lord in such a way that there is not a doubt in other's minds WHO I belong to and WHO I represent? This quote that I read yesterday says it so well, "I want to be one of those rare Christians whose very presence incites others to also be better Christians!" (Tozer).

I challenge you to ask yourself the same questions. What an incredible, "in-my-face" reminder of all that Christ has called me to be as part of His kingdom. 2 Timothy 2:1-4 says it this way, "You then, my son, be strong in the grace that is in Christ Jesus. And the things you have heard me say in the presence of many witnesses entrust to reliable men who will also be qualified to teach others. Endure hardship with us like a good soldier of Christ Jesus. No one serving as a soldier gets involved in civilian affairs - he wants to please his commanding officer!" WOW! May it be said of each of us! That we live only to please our Commanding Officer and one day be counted as a success story!

No comments:

Post a Comment